[Agda] Trust me regarding Dan Licata's trick

Martin Escardo m.escardo at cs.bham.ac.uk
Fri Jun 7 22:19:00 CEST 2013

What is disturbing about hpropositional truncation is this:

We want the type (p q : || X ||) -> p == q to be inhabited, where "=="
is propositional equality.

But, if we take ||-|| as primitive, we don't want to have a constant for
that equality: how would we compute with it? What would J do to it?

So the easiest way out seems to add a rule to the theory extended with a
constructor ||-|| stipulating that all elements of ||X|| are
definitionally equal. You are saying that this way out is too
optimistic, as you would get, under univalence,

    Unit = (Unit -> Unit)

definitionally, which doesn't sound right, and I agree.

So it seems that adding ||-|| as primitive poses the same problems as
adding functional extensionality or more generally univalence.

(Hence I take back my triviality hope of my previous message.)

You posit equalities that don't come from refl, and at the same time you
want to have J determined by its action on refl.

If not all points of ||X|| are definitionally equal, we are forced to
write equations for the postulated inhabitant of (p q : || X ||) -> p ==
q. I have no clue what they ought to be.

Best,
Martin