[Agda] Absurd question

Guillaume Brunerie guillaume.brunerie at gmail.com
Fri May 24 00:01:33 CEST 2013

One possible reason is the following: when you write

y : Y
y = \()

I think that Agda replaces it by something like:

y : Y
y = fresh where
  fresh : Y
  fresh ()

In other words, the primitive notion is the notion of definition by
absurd pattern and when you write an absurd lambda \(), Agda will
replace it by a fresh name which is a function defined by an absurd
pattern.
A consequence of that is that \() is not definitionally equal to \(),
or more generally you don’t have

let x = \() in M   definitionally equal to    M[\() / x]

because in the first case only one new function will be generated, and
in the second case one new function will be generated for each
occurrence of x in M.

In your case, you can maybe work around this issue by defining a
function Fin0-elim which proves anything given an element of Fin 0
(this function is defined by an absurd pattern or absurd lambda), and
then only use Fin0-elim instead of absurd lambdas.

Guillaume