[Agda] eta expansion

Martin Escardo m.escardo at cs.bham.ac.uk
Fri Mar 8 20:23:30 CET 2013

There are many uses of Agda, and for some of them I love eta, as a
poor-man's version of function extensionality. In fact, I would love to
have full function extensionality (that computes) for the purposes of
doing (constructive) maths in Agda.

But I am writing a paper in which I claim that certain things are
provable in intensional Martin-Loef Type Theory, and I am using
(minimal) Agda to help me. However, I (accidentally) noticed that Agda
is silently doing eta in a particular situation, which doesn't belong to
MLTT. I can do away with that by writing a different argument, that
doesn't rely on eta. But my worry is that there maybe unnoticed uses of
eta.

So it would be good to have a pragma do enable/disable eta.

Moreover, it would be good to have a pragma MLTT that doesn't allow any
feature that take us beyond core MLTT (whatever we take that to be).

Best,
Martin

--
Martin Escardo