[Agda] Mac OS 10.6 Emacs 24.2 and unicode

Andreas Abel andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
Sat Nov 3 14:29:21 CET 2012

This is an experience report, maybe useful for others struggling with
unicode characters under emacs.

After installing Emacs for OS X Modified 24.2

   http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/emacs/mac

some unicode characters were not displayed (e.g., \bn ℕ).  The problem
was that emacs chose font AppleMyungjo to render it, unsuccessfully.

Installing unifont (see Agda wiki) did help, but only in conjunction
with disabling the ApplyMyungjo font in Apple Font Book.  Unfortunately,
unifont looks ugly.

I finally found good advice here:

   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-es/unicode-fonts.el

It recommends to install some fonts, e.g.

   SymbolA from http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/

(that already fixed the \bn problem),

   Deja Vu from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dejavu/files/dejavu/2.33/dejavu-fonts-ttf-2.33.tar.bz2

and

   http://www.quivira-font.com/files/Quivira.ttf

I did not go further to actually use the unicode-fonts.el package, since
my problem was solved.  However, it seems to provide a way to influence
the "somewhat random" font mapping algorithm of emacs.

NB: After installation of SymbolA it is possible to enable AppleMyungjo
again without messing up the unicode rendering in Emacs.

Cheers,
Andreas

Oettingenstr. 67, D-80538 Munich, GERMANY

andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
http://www2.tcs.ifi.lmu.de/~abel/