[Agda] JS compiler - normalization

Andreas Abel andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
Thu Aug 30 15:22:39 CEST 2012

Hello Stanislav,

On you questions:

1. I do not know the JS compiler and I do not know why it normalizes.
Normalization can be a bad idea, e.g., consider this Haskell program:

   mylist = [1..100000000000]

   main = do
     n <- parse first command line argument
     print (take n mylist)

Normalizing mylist would probably make the compiler run out of mem.

2. Normalization is guaranteed to terminate.  However, it might produce
insanely large normal forms (see above and issue 415):

   http://code.google.com/p/agda/issues/detail?id=415

Maybe try to switch off normalization in the JS compiler and see what
happens...

Cheers,
Andreas