[Agda] making Agda on Lenny Debian

Wolfram Kahl kahl at cas.mcmaster.ca
Tue Jul 24 21:05:23 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 09:58:18PM +0400, Serge D. Mechveliani wrote:
> Further, making  Agda  needs calling `cabal'.

Which comes from the package cabal-install.

The package cabal only contains a library.

> And the `cabal' command is not accessible for me at this stage.
> So, I have additionally made from source and installed  Cabal-1.14.0  in
> /home/mechvel/.cabal,

This is what leads to the later conflict:
Apparently your GHC already included Cabal-1.14.0,
and by installing over it, you broke internal dependencies
of your GHC library installation.

As far as I know, the safest option is to start again from
installing GHC,
and then only install packages that are not already there
for getting cabal-install.

(You may even be able to use an existing cabal-install
 with your new GHC.)

(And, in general, be aware of Albert Lai's analysis
 of package conflict generation opportunities:

 http://www.vex.net/~trebla/haskell/sicp.xhtml
)

> <command line>: cannot satisfy -package Cabal-1.14.0:       *******
>
>     Cabal-1.14.0-0a7fed83b9ae97d1d588690cc2a4821d is shadowed by package
>     Cabal-1.14.0-044aebb162a56e9e7e74b79bfb3b5e56
>     Cabal-1.14.0-044aebb162a56e9e7e74b79bfb3b5e56 is unusable due to
>       missing or recursive dependencies:

This is the typical message resulting from breakage induced by
unnecessary package re-installations.

> 1) Could you advice, please, how to fix the installation?

I hope the above helps with that.

> 2) As  ghc-7.4.1  is installed from source, do I really need to
>    additionally install Cabal and cabal-install in order to install
>    Agda ?

Again: Don't re-install Cabal --- it comes with GHC.

You don't ``need'' cabal-install; it is just a convenience
as long as you use it in a way that does not break your installation.

For a release candidate of GHC-7.4.2, I used the following list of packages,
installed in this order:

zlib-0.5.3.3
random-1.0.1.1
QuickCheck-2.4.2