[Agda] Postulated computing quotients are unsound

Dan Licata drl at cs.cmu.edu
Wed May 16 16:25:58 CEST 2012

Oh, good catch!  I hadn't thought about absurd patterns.  The root of
the issue seems to be that Agda won't let me *not* export the fact that
the constructors are provably disjoint.

On the other hand, computing quotients are pretty convenient, at least
for Homotopy Type Theory stuff, and Agda seems close to supporting them.
(E.g., your counterexample doesn't apply to higher-inductive types with
only one base point, like the spheres.)

I can imagine a few ways solving this problem, in the short run:

- A heavy solution would be to add a flag --no-absurd-patterns.
  A quick grep suggests that my homotopy type theory code would compile
  with this flag.

- A better solution would be to disable absurd patterns on a type by
  type basis.  From a certain point of view, Agda already does this, but
  only for Set---otherwise univalence would allow a similar
  counterexample.  Essentially, you only want unification failures
  between hSets to allow absurd patterns.  I'm not sure how hard this
  would be to implement, though.  Thoughts?

Of course, I'd ultimately like primitive support for univalence and
higher inductive types. But in the short run another flag along the
lines of --without-K might be a good fix.

Thoughts?
-Dan