[Agda] practical integer/rational arithmetic?

Daniel Peebles pumpkingod at gmail.com
Wed May 9 17:19:34 CEST 2012

I've actually been working on rationals just recently, but the code is a
bit of a mess. I take more or less the same approach as the std lib,
though, but I use an irrelevant coprimality proof. I do prefer to keep the
rationals in reduced form to be able to use propositional equality instead
of a custom equivalence.

I haven't considered using the FFI, but using James Deikun's new Fast
natural arithmetic (including a new fast GCD implementation) we can
actually get reasonable performance out my code, even during compile-time
normalization. James can probably give you more details on that.

I've mostly focussed on non-negative rationals so far, so most of the
reasonable code is in
https://github.com/copumpkin/rational/blob/master/Rational/Nonnegative.agda.
The Rational.agda module is somewhat bitrotted.

I apologize that the code is a mess, but I've been distracted by other
things recently and haven't had a chance to continue it or tidy it up.

Dan