[Agda] Postdoc opportunities in functional programming & formal verification

Adam Chlipala adamc at csail.mit.edu
Wed May 2 16:29:43 CEST 2012

This is an informal attempt to reach out to people who might be
interested in doing postdocs with me, perhaps starting as early as this
summer or fall.  I am a new faculty member in computer science at MIT,
currently in the tail end of my first cycle of research grant
applications, waiting for decisions.  So, I don't have any specific
funding for postdocs awarded yet, but I'm optimistic that there will be
some opportunities soon, and I hope to start some conversations with
interested candidates now.

I work in program verification and other formal theorem proving with the
Coq proof assistant, along with design and implementation of functional
programming languages, especially those inspired by dependent type
theory (as in Coq).  Lengthier overview of my interests here:
     http://adam.chlipala.net/summary.html

I'd like to invite recent PhD graduates or those who expect to receive
PhD's soon to get in touch with me by e-mail, if they think they might
like to come to MIT for a year or more to work with me on these sorts of
topics.  Ideal candidates will have track records as lead authors of
papers published at top programming languages conferences like POPL,
PLDI, and ICFP; or perhaps lack of such a record can be overcome by
significant implementation experience in research-oriented projects.

While I'm writing, I'll also mention that I'd be glad to exchange
e-mails with those considering applying to our PhD program this fall who
might like to work in my group.  In contrast to the situation with
postdocs, there is a formal, centralized application process for
graduate students, but it can still be useful to gather some information
on fit ahead of time.