[Agda] Asynchronous Emacs mode / Interactive syntax highlighting

Guilhem Moulin guilhem.moulin at chalmers.se
Thu Feb 23 00:21:48 CET 2012

Hello

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 at 02:28:21 +0100, Guilhem Moulin wrote:
> As you may have already noticed, the following changes to the interface
> have been pushed upstream:
> […]
>
>  * Interactive syntax highlighting.
>
>    The syntax highlighting is updated while a buffer is type-checked.
>    This interactive highlighting is currently rather crude, it just
>    marks that a piece of code is being type-checked, or has been
>    type-checked.

Several users of Aquamacs and Emacs.app (both running under the Cocoa
library) have reported a drastic slowdown with the introduction of
on-the-fly highlighting. Weird enough, it doesn't seem to affect users
of the “original“ X11 Emacs (on Mac OSX as well).

We're currently working on it anyway. If you're too annoyed by the
feature, a quick fix is to disable incremental highlighting: set
‘envInteractiveHighlighting’ to ‘False’ in the line #232 of
‘src/full/Agda/Interaction/GhciTop.hs’.

232c232
<                             , envInteractiveHighlighting = highlighting
---
>                             , envInteractiveHighlighting = False

Note that Agda commands (except Start) keep being asynchronous with the
above modification, so it won't prevent you from e.g., using Emacs while

Apologizes
--
Guilhem.