[Agda] Any examples of monad use in Agda?

Andreas Abel andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
Wed Feb 15 09:42:48 CET 2012

Hello Jonathan,

your erasability monad has some similarity to bracket types (Awodey and
Bauer) and the proof or Squash monad.  Here are some slides where I
survey different approaches to irrelevance:

   http://www2.tcs.ifi.lmu.de/~abel/talkJFLA10.pdf

Currently, Agda's irrelevance is too weak to implement your monad
directly as

   data Squash (A : Set) : Set where
     return : .A -> Squash A

.extract and extract\bot would work, but not extract== (btw. Alan
Jeffrey also uses something equivalent to extract==: a version of subst
with irrelevant equality proof).  Semantically, extract! is justified
for the usual interpretation of the Squash monad (Squash A makes all
elements of A equal).  So far, I think you are on the safe side.

I never thought about what Squash Set should be.  Your term setout
suggest that Squash Set = Set.  That does not hold in the models I
study.  However, you are looking for more than Squash, you are after
erasure, and at runtime types are gone.

You might want to look at the work of Barras and Bernardo:  Here,
irrelevant values can be used arbitrarily in types.  This corresponds to
the intuition that types are computationally irrelevant.

Cheers,
Andreas

On 13.02.12 11:24 PM, jleivent at comcast.net wrote:
> Hello, Andreas.
>
>>> I am having some difficulty with a monad I defined, especially when I
>>> fmap a function that produces a type: given f : A ->   Set, and ma : M
>>> A, do fmap f ma, and get a useable result, meaning a type that can be
>>> used to declare things.
>>
>> Aeh, a type in a monad?  That sounds strange!  Should not types be
>> pure??  Why would you need something that launches a rocket while
>> returning a type?  Types are gone at runtime, so they should not have
>> effects!
>
> I assure you that my monad has only the purest of intentions!  Not all
> monads fire rockets.  The monad I'm trying to define is little more
> than the Identity monad with a very restricted form of extract.
>
> What I am doing is taking up the challenge Conor issued a month ago to
> find a more general notion of erasability than the trick I was using
> in the red-black tree code which I sent to the list last month.  My
> idea for such a general notion of erasability is such a monad (see
> attached ErasableMonad.agda).  It is basically the Identity monad (in
> that bind and return don't do very much), but it stores its internal
> value in a private field, and only allows extraction of irrelevant or
> stateless values (such as inhabitants of a == b for some a, b).  It
> would have to be coupled with assurances that the compiler would
> always erase it (by which I mean that the programmer could not provoke
> the erasure without assistance from the compiler, as was possible with
> that trick I sent in last month) - but at least it seems always
> erasable, and so feasible for a compiler to make such a guarantee.
>
> With such a monad, consider that red-black tree code I sent in, and it
> is easy to see cases like what I described above - where you want to
> fmap a predicate/type constructor.  That case would be the "sorted"
> predicate, which has the type F ->  Set, where F is the "flattened"
> list of elements in the tree.  The intention of the erasable monad
> usage here is to be able to declare all mentions of that type F as
> erasable M F, where M is the above erasable monad.  That's certainly
> desirable, because carrying around inhabitants of F at runtime is a
> huge waste, and would defeat the whole purpose of the tree algorithm.
> So, the programmer might wish to make sure that they're all erasable
> by declaration, not merely leave that decision up to the compiler.
> The trick I was using prior to this erasable monad idea was to
> axiomatize F such that it is indistinguishable from a stateless type
> (such as top).  That trick worked - for the black-level Ns as well.
> But, as you and Conor pointed out, that trick isn't a very general
> technique.  Hence this idea for a monad, since monads are (usually)
> general.
>
> So, given M F, and predicate/type-constructor sorted : F ->  Set, what
> does one do?  That's why I think I need:
>
>    setout : M Set ->  Set

> [...]

Oettingenstr. 67, D-80538 Munich, GERMANY

andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
http://www2.tcs.ifi.lmu.de/~abel/