[Agda] Erasable vs. irrelevant

jleivent at comcast.net jleivent at comcast.net
Thu Jan 19 22:23:22 CET 2012

Hi Adam,

The weakening of the normal discrimination to "weak-disc" is exactly what I did that I think makes this erasable.  In other words - yes of course, with the normal discrimination axiom "disc : {n : N} → 1+ n ≡ Ø → ⊥", the resulting type (the standard naturals) has computational content, and is not erasable.  My point was that by doing just that one weakening, you end up with something that is very structurally similar to naturals, and very useful, but is erasable.  I made that "weak-disc" axiom as strong as I could think of doing yet still leave the resulting type erasable.  Mostly, this just amazes me - I don't know if it is at all useful as a way to complement compilation techniques that remove erasable code.  It's as if the theory of the naturals, on which so much is built, is "barely there" - meaning there isn't very much at all (just the difference between the normal discrimination axiom and the weakened one) keeping it from disappearing into nothingness.