[Agda] Building with GHC 7.4

Nils Anders Danielsson nad at chalmers.se
Tue Dec 27 21:16:28 CET 2011

On 2011-12-27 18:04, Martin Escardo wrote:
> I meant 7.0.3. I tried in vain to compile Agda 2.3.0 with cabal or the
> tar file or darcs in ubuntu 11.10, with lots of dependency problems
> with complaints that the required versions of various things could not
> be installed. I did compile, as I said, agda 2.3.0 in an earlier
> version of ubuntu (with ghc 6.?) and copied it over to ubuntu 11.10.

Andreas Abel posted a link recently:

    Storage and Identification of Cabalized Packages
    Albert Y. C. Lai
    http://www.vex.net/~trebla/haskell/sicp.xhtml

 From the introduction:

    "This article describes where library packages for GHC are stored,
    how GHC remembers them, and corollaries. Cabal tries to abstract this
    away from you, but the abstraction leaks. You will run into problems.
    You may have already run into problems. You will need this
    information to solve problems. Ignorance is not bliss anymore. You
    will know. You are forced to know."

 From the end:

   "There is no hope trying to mix distro installation with cabal
   installation. The distro installer assumes it has the monopoly; cabal
   assumes there is no monopoly. They are fundamentally in contradiction.

   The only safe ways to install packages are: [...]"

--
/NAD