[Agda] 'Dummie' question - why records?

Peter Dybjer peterd at chalmers.se
Tue Oct 25 16:21:58 CEST 2011

> To my (hank's) mind, the important point is that in the logical framework (which Ranta calls
> "higher-level type theory"), the *elimination* rules have conceptual priority.  They say
> *what can be done with* an object of type \alpha.

Yes, I remember Per saying something like that. How the meaning of the function TYPE is determined by the rule of function application, whereas the meaning of the function SET is determined by the introduction rule, stating that

lambda : (A : Set)(B : (A)Set)(b : (x : A)B x) Pi A B

is a constructor for the function SET.

Peter