[Agda] Install failure

Christoph Herrmann ch at cs.st-andrews.ac.uk
Wed Mar 23 12:33:09 CET 2011

Hi Bengt

On 23 Mar 2011, at 09:27, Bengt Nordstrom wrote:

> The general situation seem to be that we have a good way to install
> Agda for (experienced) Haskell programmers.

I disagree. The installation problem has nothing to do with
Haskell programming. The skills required are shell, make, m4, configure,
the peculiarities of gcc and libraries on MacOSX (in my case)
and the ability to deal with a vast amount of side effects, which I try
to avoid; that is one reason why I program in Haskell.

> But it would be nice if it was easy for people who (like myself) know
> nothing about cabal, happy etc to install the system.
> As a naive person, I would like to have a one click install for each
> of the major operating systems. How can we achieve this?
> The current descriptions of the process takes more than a page and a
> lot of alternatives.

A one-click install is probably a high effort, but it would be nice if
the installation process was simpler, e.g., avoiding cabal.

> In fact, it would be nice to have a zero click install: You should be
> able to load and edit Agda programs in your browser. Is anybody
> working on this?

This could probably encourage people from mathematics/logics which do
not have a deep programming language background to play with Agda.
I know a few people which are discouraged by the need to use emacs;
and the batch mode is not attractive as well.

Best Regards