[Agda] Yet another questions about equality

Dan Doel dan.doel at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 18:06:16 CET 2011

On Saturday 19 February 2011 10:06:36 AM Peter Hancock wrote:
> In the interest of restoring balance to the universe, I've changed my mind.
> Seriously, this presentation by T. Coquand:
> http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~coquand/bologna.pdf
> seems to suggest (see the end) that it may be possible to treat
> the identity types purely axiomatically, with no computation rules.
> (Nils Danielsson has had a hand in this too.)

If you're talking about him mentioning the connection with OTT, it was my
impression that he was suggesting that the univalent foundations extend OTT
such that there _is_ a proper computational interpretation of equality.
Specifically, equality of sets is interpreted as isomorphism, instead of being
true along the diagonal, and false otherwise.

> There is certainly something "fatuous" (I can't think of a better word)
> about the computation rule for J -- in the same way as there is something
> fatuous about the elimination rule for the singleton rule for N_1 (the
> standard singleton set).

I'm not exactly sure what your meaning is here. However, it's kind of
interesting to note that type theorists would usually suggest that the J
induction rule, and its computation, works because there is one canonical way
of proving equality: refl. So when we write:

  J : P x refl -> P y eq, A : Type, x : A, P : (y : A) -> x = y -> Type

it must work because y must be x, and eq must be refl. Univalent foundations
suggest that this needn't actually be the case when x and y are themselves
sets. But we still have J. What does this mean? It means that predicates on
sets P themselves hold only up to isomorphism on sets. So we are not justified
because y must be x, and the proof must be refl, but because x and y are
isomorphic, and there is a way to transport a proof of P x refl along the
isomorphism to a proof of P y eq (and similar for higher-dimensional types).

At least, I think that's what's going on. I suppose what is also interesting
is that we can work with the unique identity proofs in mind, with the trivial
computation rule, and still get results that still work with the non-unique
identity interpretation. That is, as long as we stick to J, and don't add K.
Of course, the univalent foundations also suggest axioms to add that
contradict the unique identity proof view. J and refl are the common ground.

Technically, all inductive definitions and eliminations are similarly under-
specified. The rules for the unit type don't really guarantee that there is
only one inhabitant, just that there is at least one, and that if a predicate
holds for that one, it holds for any other. Similar to how the induction
schema in Peano arithmetic cannot rule out non-standard models. The univalent
folks are suggesting that a 'non-standard' model of type theory might be a
better one, though, I suppose.

-- Dan