[Agda] Size of propositional equality?

Thorsten Altenkirch txa at Cs.Nott.AC.UK
Mon Dec 20 19:58:08 CET 2010

On 20 Dec 2010, at 07:32, Andreas Abel wrote:

> This is my view why we need to be skeptic:
>
> Indexing can be translated away using propositional equality.
>
> Propositional equality that just reflects the beta-equality of type theory can be justified regardless of levels, since you can define
>
>  Id : (A : Set i) -> A -> A -> Set
>  refl in Id A a a'  <==>  a =beta a'

I don't see how this is a justification in the sense that it shows that large equality is sound or conservative.

Large equality certainly has an impredicative flavour. But it is not clear to me wether it extends the logical strength of the Type Theory.

Thorsten