[Agda] How to formalize 'there exists a set' phrase?

Ondrej Rypacek ondrej.rypacek at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 13:47:10 CEST 2010

2010/7/12 Thorsten Altenkirch <txa at cs.nott.ac.uk>:

>> But A -> Set doesn't fit into Set , for A : Set . It is an ZF axiom .
>> Or is this one inconsistent intuitionistically ?
>> Or perhaps that's where quotients would help to make things precise and
>> fit the powerset of A : Set a into Set ?
>
> Why do you need this?

Given a relation between sets I and J  of the form

I <- B -> A -> J

I need an opposite, but not

J <- A <- B -> I

but something of the same shape, i.e. something like

J <- A -> p B -> p I

where, p is the powerset functor Set -> Set and the middle arrow is
the inverse of the one above.

But if p has type : Set l -> Set (suc l), this and everything else
would have to be universe polymorphic, I guess. Not sure how it will
work with the rest of my development, but probably fine. Just makes it
more complicated.

> Unlike powerset quotients are predicatively acceptable, btw.
Do you mean that cardinality is not size? Hank has pointed this out to
me. It was just a wild guess, really.

Cheers,
Ondrej