[Agda] Dependencies for compiling agda, principal question

David Wahlstedt david.wahlstedt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 15:34:29 CEST 2010

Hi,

First, I stated that, since the problems came with the darcs version, I
accept things as they are, and that my question was principal. (maybe the
swedish word "principiell" is differrent from the english word "principal")
I could say "ideal" or "theoretical" instead.

So, again, why not be conservative even for this version ?
Many users want to take part of bug fixes and new *type theoretic* features.
For these, it should be ok with an older version of cabal, and then after,
say half a year, when the new haskell platform becomes available, let the
dependency in. Not knowing the internals, it is hard to imagine that Agda
would really need cabal 1.8 and ghc 6.12 to be implemented. if it worked
before these versions existed, why wouldnt it work after that ? Is it really
that a big differrence for the developers, so that these new fetures that
the new tools offer are indispensable ? It should be possible to develop new
software with reasonably, but not bleeding edge, tools. After all, Agda is
basically a program that manipulates syntax trees and strings. (sorry if
this was too naive :-)

My reason to use a later version than the hackage released version (still
2.2.6) was that I wanted to try Agsy, of Fredrik Lindblad. He had a patch he
wanted to send me. I checked out 2.2.6 from darcs, but I couldn't build it.
it seems that it was due to the cabal verson problem described before on
this list. So actually I didnt ask for the "bleeding version".

David