[Agda] Agda with the excluded middle is inconsistent ?

Thorsten Altenkirch txa at Cs.Nott.AC.UK
Fri Jan 8 00:28:07 CET 2010

>  One other difference between Agda and Martin-Lof type theory, which
> seems relevant here, is that if one uses only the
> elimination rule over Id, it does not seem possible to show that the
> set constructor I is injective. At least, the proof
>
> data I : (Set -> Set) -> Set where
>
>   Iinj : ∀ { x y : Set -> Set } -> Eq1 (I x) (I y) -> Eq1 x y
>   Iinj refleq1 = refleq1
>
> uses some operations (unification of I x and I y and hence of x and
> y) that apparently go beyond the elimination
> rule for the Id type.

It isn't even possible to prove that List : Set -> Set is injective
(e.g. one can use W-types to define List), I think. The reason is that
one can identify sets upto isomorphism (this can be justified by the
groupoid model) and List is not injective upto isomorphism. However,
if we add universe elimination then we should be able to show
injectivity for List.