[Agda] RE: Z in constructive type theory

Thomas ANBERREE thomas.anberree at nottingham.edu.cn
Fri Sep 25 14:57:03 CEST 2009

Hi everyone,

(I'm Thomas from Nottingham Chinese Campus ).

Commenting on the two approaches to implement the ring of
integers Z from the monoid of natural numbers N:

1) Z is viewed a N+N with the injections pos, nonpos: N -> Z
mentioned by Bengt. I'm not sure this approach is less awkward
than the second mentioned. Definitions and proofs of properties
of the basic ring structure involve case analysis (between
positive and non-positive) which clutter proofs and definitions.
A stronger disadvantage could be the lack of nice
generalisations when constructing rational numbers and real
numbers.

2) Z is viewed as the quotient, NxN/~ where (m,n)~(m',n') iff
m-n=m'-n'. (This is the standard approach in classical maths
studies.)

As reminded by Nils, it might actually be easier to work at the
level of representations (pairs (m,n) in NxN) when defining and
proving properties of basic operations. One of our student (Li
Nuo) has worked on both approaches in Agda. Distributivity of
multiplication over addition was a lot shorter to prove when
working with (m,n)-representations rather than with the
quotient NxN/~ directly.

However, one's aim should be to lift results from the
representations level to a data type for integers where
definitional equality is the one between integers, such as
NxN/~ (without this, one should not call it Z). To make it
easier, one could work with normal forms (canonical
representatives) among pairs of natural numbers (e.g. n is
(0,n) and -m=(m,0)) rather than with a more abstract quotient
space. However when generalising this technique to other sets
of numbers, the use of normal forms might become more
complicated (see rational numbers) or even impossible (real
numbers).

Best, Thomas.