[Agda] Agda takes a long time to type check.

Vilius Naudziunas vn229 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 26 12:10:18 CET 2009

Hi,

I am new to Agda (started using it a two months ago). I am trying to use
it for developing typing system with algebraic properties. All was
working well until trying to prove that the lexicographic product of
commutative and idempotent semigroup on the left and monoid on the right
forms a semigroup. It is a long proof consisting of 256 case splits
(using 'with ...' syntax). I have generated it using some ocaml code,
and I think it is correct.
The problem is that it takes a really long time for Agda to type check
it. First I got stack overflow error. Fixed it by calling Adga with
'+RTS -K100000000'. Afterwards I left it to type check over weekend, but
it didn't finish by Monday.

Could you tell me what kind of constructions in Agda could be causing
such behaviour? Maybe I could avoid them by generating code differently.

Best regards,
Vilius Naudziunas