[Agda] Re: Avoid GHC 6.10.1 (for now)

Iain Lane ial at cs.nott.ac.uk
Wed Nov 12 11:43:49 CET 2008

On 12 Nov 2008, at 03:37, Darin Morrison wrote:

> /usr/local/lib/readline-1.0.1.0/ghc-6.10.1/HSreadline-1.0.1.0.o:
> unknown symbol `_rl_basic_quote_characters'
> ghc: unable to load package `readline-1.0.1.0'
>
> Not terribly surprising I guess.  Initially, I had problems getting
> the readline package to even compile because it wasn't finding the
> readline installation from MacPorts.  I managed to get it to compile
> by manually running configure and passing it the appropriate paths,
> but apparently there's still something wrong.

This was the same problem I had, and it seems we both attempted to
fudge it in the same way. The hackage readline package doesn't search /
opt/local/lib for the readline library installed by macports. This is
probably something which should be reported. I'll do that soon.

Anyway, the way I fixed this is by installing a version of
GNUReadline.framework. The ones at [0] are PPC only so wouldn't work
for me, so I've built some intel ones and shoved the zip online at
[1]. Just unzip it into /Library/Frameworks or ~/Library/Frameworks.
For anyone playing along at home, the shell file for building readline
needs some patching - see [2].

Once the framework is installed, readline-1.0.1.0 can be installed
with cabal install, and then everything works once more.

All good fun,
Iain

[0] http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/mac_frameworks/mac_e.htm
[1] http://cs.nott.ac.uk/~ial/GNUreadline-framework.zip