[Agda] Big indices for small types?

Peter Dybjer peterd at cs.chalmers.se
Sat Aug 30 15:20:43 CEST 2008

Hi Conor,

Have you got a consistency proof (relative to set theory)?

I don't have anything specific to say about your definition, except that
it goes against certain
intuitions about "predicativity" (relating to concepts such as "before",
"after", "below", and "above").
However, to me "predicativity" is a subjective notion, it's all in your
own mind, and not an objective concept, which is what really counts.

I propose the following plan of action when adding a new construction to
Martin-Löf type theory (Agda).

1. Prove it consistent relative to set theory
2. Give an informal but careful analysis why it is constructive, that is,
why it satisfies Martin-Löf's style meaning explanations.
3. Prove normalization and decidability of type-checking for the extended
system.

It's probably also important to have a good motivating example.

Cheers,
Peter