[Agda] interactive mode

Andres Loeh andres at cs.uu.nl
Mon Jun 9 10:16:05 CEST 2008

Hi again.

Thanks for the answer ...

> > I've just noticed that latest darcs versions of Agda
> > claim that the interactive mode is no longer supported.
> > This comes as a surprise (and shock) to me -- I use it
> > all the time.
>
> I think it has been unsupported for a long time, it just has not been
> advertised properly before.
>
> (Just to avoid confusion: The batch mode and the Emacs mode are still
> supported, but not agda --interactive.)
>
> > Why will it no longer be supported?
>
> Presumably because it had few users, the Emacs mode has more features,
> and we have limited man-power.

Understandable. But is it so hard to support? Have there been many
problems with interactive mode that make it likely it won't work without
much trouble in the future?

> What kind of interface to Agda would you like to see, by the way?

I was actually relatively happy with --interactive, apart from the
fact that :r always seems to reload *all* modules, and that can take
a long time. Is this a problem that would be fixed by switching to
the Emacs interface?

Personally, I'm a vim user, but I've used Emacs in the past. I just
generally don't like it if a programming language dictates the editor
I should use, and have considered the fact that Agda didn't as a
huge advantage over Epigram so far.

Cheers,
  Andres

--