[Agda] Size change of higher order arguments

Andreas Abel abela at cs.chalmers.se
Fri Apr 25 13:50:23 CEST 2008

Dear Shin-Cheng,

what Nisse has answered you is all correct.  It makes sense to think of
a whole function to be bigger than one of it's value:

    f a <= f

This is sound for predicative type theories.  The idea is by Thierry
(Pattern matching ..., TYPES 92) and there is a formal proof of
well-foundedness by Thorsten and me in the paper cited below (JFP 02).

The termination checker works still as described in the JFP 02 article:
  extraction of call graphs and call matrices, completion, etc.  The
only difference is that we now use the "size-change" termination criterion:

   For each function f of the completed call graph, consider the calls

     f --> f   with *idempotent* call matrix A, i.e., A o A = A

   Then A needs to decrease in one argument, i.e., A_ii = "<" for one i.

This termination criterion is easier to check (the code to construct a
lexicographic ordering is no longer needed).  However it is harder to
verify, it requires the Ramsey theorem (see PhD by David Wahlstedt and
the POPL'01 Paper by Neil Jones).

To answer the last question belo:

   "higher-order" is orthogonal to "size-change".

"higher-order" affects phase 1 of the termination checker: extraction of
calls from the intermediate code and comparing call arguments with
function parameters to come up with the initial call matrices.
Comparison involves some notion of structural order which involves the
"higher-order" principle f a <= f.

"size-change" affects phase 2: call graph completion and
finding/checking the termination criterion.

Hope that clarifies things a bit, please get back to me if questions remain.

Cheers,
Andreas