[Agda] Font Problems on Mac OS X

Shin-Cheng Mu scm at iis.sinica.edu.tw
Fri Oct 26 11:09:40 CEST 2007

On Oct 24, 2007, at 8:38 PM, Ulf Norell wrote:
> Finding suitable unicode fonts is a big problem. I'm using the
> X-version of emacs on my mac instead of the native one. This way
> I can use unix fonts where the selection is a bit bigger. In any
> case we don't have any good standard fonts for Agda. If you manage
> to find something that works well please let us know :-)

I am using Aquamacs Emacs ( http://aquamacs.org/ ). After some
Google search I eventually went with a solution that may be obvious:
I installed the FreeMono font from Free UCS Outline Fonts:

    http://www.nongnu.org/freefont/

Installing the font was easy: just download and double click.
OS X would warn that OpenType data is missing and it may be
dangerous to install the font, but people who encountered the
problem seem to have just gone with the installation anyway.

After the installation, Aquamacs was immediately able to display
the symbols. It still renders the file using the default monospace
font (Monaco) and switches to FreeMono only for symbols missing
in Monaco. There is a way to change the default font through its
GUI, but FreeMono appears too light for me, so I stick with Monaco
as the default.

Hope that helps. :)

sincerely,
Shin