[Agda] Agda release plan

Marcin Benke marcin at marcin.org
Mon Nov 29 12:18:07 CET 2004

I would like to propose a few suggestions perteining Agda version
numbers and release plan

1. I suggest that we use a version number scheme similar to the one used
in Linux and GHC, i.e.
version numbers contain of two or 3 numbers (cf. GHC 6.2, Linux 2.5.1):

 - Major number,
 - Release number, where even numbers are STABLE releases, and odd
number are EXPERIMENTAL releases
 - patchlevel.; for experimental releases this can be also snapshot date.

See
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/version-numbering.html
for how it works with GHC.

2. If this numbering scheme is assumed, I suggest that

** Agda without hidden arguments becomes eventually Agda 1.0. We can
start with a release candidate, e.g. 1.0.rc1
** Current experimental versionds become 1.1.x and will form basis for
1.2 as soon as we can deem them stable.

The main reasons for having Agda 1.0 as I suggest are:

** Having some stable version as soon as possible
** Having a version compatible with Alfa

3. On the technical side I suggest creating CVS branches for stable
releases, and keep experimental versions in the HEAD.

4. Timeline: I think it should be possible to have a release candidate
for 1.0 by Christmas and  1.0 final in January.
As for 1.1 and later, this needs some more thought.

Comments are very welcome!

Marcin