[Nbp] Seminar the day before my phd thesis defense

Erik Olsén olsene at chalmers.se
Thu Aug 24 15:38:08 CEST 2023

Hi everyone,

Monday the 28th of August (the day before my phd thesis defense) there will be a seminar where my opponent (Prof. Philipp Kukura) and two members of my committee will present (Assoc. Prof Per Augustsson and Asst. Prof. Erdinc Sezgin). The seminar will be at the EF lecture hall in the EDIT building (if you want a guide to where the lecture hall is I recommend https://maps.chalmers.se/#f3e12bd4-9047-4e64-af74-709f298e3bfa)

Feel free to spread this information to anyone that could potentially be interested

The planned schedule is:

13.15-14.00
Prof. Philipp Kukura, University of Oxford, https://www.kukuralab.info/
Title: Unravelling biomolecular structure, interactions and dynamics with mass photometry

Abstract: Interactions between biomolecules control the processes of life, and their malfunction in disease, making their characterization and quantification essential to our understanding of the underlying molecular mechanisms. A major challenge stems from the intrinsic heterogeneity and dynamics of molecular machines and its correlation with function and regulation. I will introduce mass photometry (MP), the accurate and precise mass measurement by light scattering, which enables the study of stoichiometries, structure, energetics and kinetics of individual biomolecules in solution. These capabilities provide a dynamic view of complex processes at the macromolecular level, which I will illustrate with recent results revealing the molecular dynamics driving protein polymerization, and the importance of intermolecular interactions for viral infection and therapeutic intervention.

14.15-14.45
Assoc. Prof. Per Augustsson, Lund University, https://bme.lth.se/staff/augustsson-per/research/
Title: Sorting particles by sound

15.00-15.30
Assist. Prof. Erdinc Sezgin, SciLifeLab/Karloniska Institutet, https://www.scilifelab.se/researchers/erdinc-sezgin/
Title: Measuring biophysical properties of cells and nanoscale bioparticles in health and disease

Cheers,
Erik