[Level3soliden] Colloquium Hampus today 15.30

Mats Granath Mats.Granath at physics.gu.se
Tue Mar 14 07:54:16 CET 2023

Hi Everyone,

FYI Hampus is giving a colloquium at Maths today. Looks very interesting.

Best,
Mats

Kollokviefika: 15.00-15.28

Time and place: Euler, Tuesday, March 14, 15.30.

Speaker: Hampus Linander (GU)

Title: Ghost in the shell: The mathematics behind generative language models

Abstract: ChatGPT has revolutionized our ability to use computers to solve complex tasks. Using natural language input, a language model can provide the user with answers to questions ranging from simple facts to solving programming challenges. How are these models constructed, and how are they trained? I will provide an overview of the mathematical foundations and show how language models can be used in practice in different contexts. Together with other recent advances in artificial intelligence there is a potential for societal impact that warrants optimism and caution, and I will demonstrate and speculate about how these models can be combined.