[Agda] Implementation of abstract vs. irrelevance

Andreas Abel andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
Mon May 13 13:45:15 CEST 2013

Hi Andrea,

"abstract" means that this definition is only expanded when checking
other "abstract" definitions.

Irrelevant arguments are not compared during equality checking, however,
they might still be computed for other reasons, e.g. to determine their
precise set of free variables.  Substitution also has to traverse
irrelevant arguments, due to the lack of explicit substitutions in the
Agda engine.

The implementation of these features is scattered all over the Agda
engine (TypeChecking.*), you might wanna grep for "AbstractMode" and
"releva" to get to interesting source locations.

Cheers,
Andreas