[Agda-dev] Propose work-flow in the standard library repository

Andrés Sicard-Ramírez asr at eafit.edu.co
Sun Sep 27 00:24:02 CEST 2015

Hi,

Since Agda previous release (Agda 2.4.2.3) and also with the current
release (Agda 2.4.2.4), the approach of pushing the changes in the
standard library in its master branch and before release a new version
of the library back-porting/cherry-picking these changes in the
correspond branch is not working. Why? Because there is not a
maintainer of the library which is using this approach.

Realising Agda and the standard library is increasingly difficult
because Agda has more features (which is very nice), the user base is
greater (which is also very nice), we support various versions of GHC,
we support various platforms, etc. We need the cooperation of everyone
involved to make the release tasks a little easier.

To facilitate the release of new versions of the standard library, I
propose the following approach again (I know that not everyone agrees with
this approach):

A. Your change is independent of Agda

1. Push your commit in the 2.4.2.4 branch
2. Merge the 2.4.2.4 branch into the 2.4.2.5 branch
3. Merge the 2.4.2.5 branch into the master branch

B. Your change is due to a change in the maintenance version of Agda

1. Push your commit in the 2.4.2.5 branch
2. Merge the 2.4.2.5 branch into the master branch

C. Your change is due to a change in the master version of Agda

Push your commit in the master branch

All the best,

--
Andrés